This morning we had some left over Chana Masala and Lentils, which inspired us to mix with our scrambled eggs – Yum!
We found a proper recipe from Food & Wine for scrambled eggs Indian-style.
It is fast, healthy and vegetarian. Flavored with chile, garlic and ginger, this may become a new morning addiction!
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of turmeric
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small hot red or green chile, seeded and very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tomato—halved, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- Roti (see Note) or toast, for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the cumin, turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onion, chile, garlic and ginger and cook over high heat until the onion just begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato, season with salt and the sugar and cook for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to moderately low and pour in the eggs. Cook, stirring constantly, until the eggs are just set, about 1 minute. Fold in the cilantro and serve with roti or toast.